Friday, November 25, 2011

The Birthday/Thanksgiving Time of Year...

So it was that time of the year again yesterday. The day I get to turn another year older (and wiser too?) and how lucky I was to get to celebrate my birthday on the same day as Thanksgiving. All in all it wasn't a bad day (aside from battling a dreaded head cold).

It started out by getting a week break off from school. It was a much welcomed relief too. Wednesday I took Bailey in for another blood test (and nail trim...*cue the sound for that dreaded dum dum dum soundy thing). The previous tests that were ran all ran on the serum from the blood and since they all came back negative (for an explainable reason on why her calcium levels are a dangerous high) she had to give more blood. You see the test they are running on her now is one that is rarely performed but it is the surest way they have at the moment to tell if there is cancer lurking somewhere (the other possible reason that her calcium levels are up) and to run that test they need the plasma from her blood. She wasn't a happy doggy for a while. The stress from the situation caused her to get a short, temporary cherry eye (luckily it went down and back to normal within the hour). The vet was very please with Bailey's reaction to it all. Once they got her back in the back she was well behaved (its just getting her there that is the tricky part). So with any luck, I will hear back from them in about 2 weeks. Cross your fingers it isn't cancer!!!!

So then Mark came up for a couple days to spend my birthday with me. He surprised me with Bert the farting hippo from the TV series NCIS!!! Yes it is the official plush animal, complete with farting sounds, from Abby's lab! Love that little guy and always am on the look out to see him make an appearance during an episode. He needs to come out more often, don't you agree?? However, it wasn't the only thing that he brought up with him. Bert apparently comes with a LARGE coffee mug and whoopie cushion. Yes people, I am the proud owner of my very own whoopie cushion. *Evil Grin...almost like the grin/smile that the Grinch gets on his face...the animated version not the Jim Carey one.  He also brought up the complete season one of the show too. I would have been content with just Bert but his heart was in the right place. 

So then there was Thanksgiving dinner. I cooked the majority of it. This year I broke my normal tradition and way of thinking by having a ham this year *GASP!!!* Yes, I know, I know...have had this argument before but it was really yummy. We had my mom's yummy dressing, my favorite recipe for funeral potatoes and homemade rolls. My mom makes great flip flops but I can never seem to get it just right when I make them so I opted for another recipe and they were De-lish. We also had some side dishes and salads but those are just that, side dishes. 

So because it was my birthday, we had cake. Yeah, not my best work. I did a round layer cake and in the process I broke the top layer. Thus, making about an inch of my cake to slide and fall off *sigh* but it was still good, sweet, but good. I got a lot of nice cards (even an good boob joke card) that included a nice gift card from my brother and his family and some cash from my mommy. I love gift cards. I know people think that they are the worst gift to give but sometimes they are the safest route to go and when you get someone who is a little hard to shop for or just don't know what to get them, they are LIFESAVERS!!! I have had my eye on a few things so this was a great gift for me! THANKS YOU GUYS!!!! 

So really, it was a good few days...sure hate to see it come to an end by going back to school on Monday...

No comments:

Post a Comment